The CIRS Group Life Plan helps protect your family from the financial consequences of the loss of your income in the event of your death.
Basic facts about the CIRS Group Life Plan
You will become a Group Life Plan Member on the first day of the month coincident with or next following the latter of completion of 3 months of Employment Service with a CIRS Participating Employer or the attainment of age 21.
Life insurance benefits come at no cost to you. 100% of premiums are paid by your employer.
You can update your beneficiary 2 ways:
- Complete the CIRS 401(k) Savings Plan beneficiary form and your designations will apply to both the CIRS Group Life Plan and the CIRS 401(k) Savings Plan.
- If you want a different beneficiary for CIRS Group Life Plan only, then fill out the CIRS Group Life Plan beneficiary form and mail it back to CIRS.
If you become married, your spouse will automatically become your beneficiary. If you would like to name someone other than your spouse as beneficiary, you will need to complete a new form. You do not need a spousal waiver to name a beneficiary who is not your spouse.
If you complete a new CIRS 401(k) Savings Plan beneficiary form after making a Group Life election, the latest election will supersede any prior election made under either plan.
The amount paid to your beneﬁciary depends on your years of Employment Service
- Less than 10 years of Employment Service:
- 100% of Base Salary, up to $500,000
- 10 years or more of Employment Service:
- 200% of Base Salary, up to $500,000
- Coverage continues if you transfer employment from one CIRS Participating Employer to another
- Coverage continues for up to 12 months during authorized leaves of absence
- Your life insurance benefit will be reduced if you are age 70 or older
- Coverage ends upon termination or retirement
- Options for conversion (whole life) or portability (term life). No physical is required, however you must apply within 31 days of the date you become ineligible.
- Additional coverage for Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Living benefits option (also known as an Accelerated Benefit):
- If you are terminally ill (life expectancy of 12 months or less), you can receive up to 75% of your life insurance benefit
- Assist America benefits
As a Member of the CIRS Group Life Plan, you also receive free benefits under Assist America, including:
- Global Emergency Services which protects Members, spouse and dependants in the event of a travel emergency that occurs while you are 100+ miles away from home or in another country
- Prescription assistance
- Lost luggage and documents
- and more…
- Identity Theft Protection
- Register for online fraud monitoring
- Identity recovery guidance
Print and retain your Assist America Wallet card today, available in the Assist America Brochure.
For more information, visit www.assistamerica.com.